Tuesday, March 6, 2012

lighting /tip o' the day

One thing that really crawls underneath my skin is when "photographers" don't pay attention to their lighting conditions. We have a thing called Photoshop that we should be using. :-)  ( a little rant to start the  blog off) hahaha.
On a different note. My last semester of college I took a whole class just on color reproduction. Walking into the class I thought I knew everything that anyone should know about color. After the first class I was proven wrong. Believe me when I say it was a long semester. Correct color and lighting means so much in the photography world. If you would like help let me know. I would love to pass along some knowledge to ya.
Now it is time for tip o' the day

  Today, I'm going to share one of our lighting tips with y'all.  We love to use video lights as a (sometimes better) alternative to flash!  When we shoot indoors we have to deal with terrible venue lighting by overpowering with something.  Sometimes, flash is perfect.  But when we want to control the amount of light, the angle of the light, and even the color of light, it's MUCH easier if we use a video light!  Sure, you can have custom white balances and rig up a fancy off-camera flash system, but honestly we don't always have time for that on a wedding day (or even during bridal sessions, engagement sessions, and portrait sessions).

  The Lowel ID light is a great light (the battery pack is heavy though). The color is great and it's dimmable and you can get barn doors to adjust the light (we don't normally use these, but have in the past).  The Litepanels light has a hot shoe attachment and comes with gels so you can shoot out some color balanced light!  Another great thing about the LP is it runs on 4 AA batteries!  Nice!

When you shoot with these, you can play around with shadows (and see it while shooting, which is hard with flash!) and brightness.  I usually have an assistant hold it off at a 45 degree angle, and sometimes a 90 degree angle, for interesting light.
Okay!  There you have it!  Enjoy!  And grab your own video light - you really won't be disappointed!!

Let your light shine bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment